pollution and soil erosion within communities while conserving a valuable natural resource. In the United States alone, outdoor water use can makeup between 25-58 percent of overall domestic water demands. Rainwater harvesting can drastically reduce this demand preserving municipal water supply for potable drinking water. As global water supplies diminish, rainwater harvesting will become a critical issue.
· Over 600 pounds of organic yard and kitchen waste materials can be diverted per home through backyard composting
· According to the Clean Air Council, 43,000 tons of food is thrown out in the United States each day
· Curbside waste reduction through backyard composting saves valuable landfill space
· Backyard composting reduces organic materials going to landfills, thereby reducing the production of methane gas, a potent and harmful greenhouse gas
· Residents save their municipalities valuable tax dollars by composting at home - backyard composting is much more cost effective and environmentally-friendly than municipal collection and disposal
· Compost is a great soil amendment for lawns, gardens, potting soils, etc.
· Compost can also save money by reducing your curbside waste, and by retaining soil moisture, you will save on your water bills too
· Leaves, grass and kitchen scraps represent as much as 50 percent of waste materials going to landfills
Rain Water Harvesting Facts
· One inch of rain falling on an average rooftop harvests as much as 600 gallons of rainwater
· Rain Barrel use reduces rainwater run-off that carries sediment, grease and other pollutants into local waterways
· Rain Barrel use reduces soil erosion and improves the ability of rainwater to infiltrate soil at a reduced intensity
· Residents save their municipalities valuable tax dollars by rainwater harvesting - in the U.S. alone outdoor water use makes up between 25-58 percent of total household tap water use. By utilizing the SYSTERN Rain Barrel, you can reduce your own water bill as well
· Rain Barrel use helps minimize sewer overflows during heavy rainfalls thereby reducing storm water overflow carrying pathogens, solids, debris, and toxic pollutants into local surface water
· As global water supplies diminish, rainwater harvesting will become a crucial water conservation practice – residents can make a difference
About The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company
With approximately $3 billion in worldwide sales, The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company, through its wholly-owned subsidiary, The Scotts Company LLC, is the world's largest marketer of branded consumer products for lawn and garden care, with products for professional horticulture as well. The Company's brands are the most recognized in the industry. In the U.S., the Company's Scotts®, Miracle-Gro® and Ortho® brands are market-leading in their categories, as is the consumer Roundup® brand, which is marketed in North America and most of Europe exclusively by Scotts and owned by Monsanto. In the U.S., we operate Scotts LawnService®, the second largest residential lawn care service business. Visit us at www.scotts.com.